Beef Tenderloin Steak Tips are a great way to prepare a tender cut of meat for any special occasion.
Beef tenderloin steak tips are one of the best ways to create a memorable dinner recipe idea!
They resemble beef stroganoff but can turn any steak recipe into a crowd-feeding meal with a delicious pan sauce filled with red wine and mushrooms.
How to Cook Beef Tenderloin Steak Tips
First, you’ll need beef tips. When I purchase a whole tenderloin, I’ll trim it up to my preferred filet mignon steaks.
I’m left with a chain that cuts into tenderloin beef tips! So, while purchasing a whole beef tenderloin is an expensive cut of meat upfront, you get 3-4 meals out of each purchase, so it’s very economical.
There are all kinds of cuts you can get for steak tips:
- Tenderloin Roast
- Beef Tenderloin Steaks
- Stew Meat
- Sirloin Tips
- Filet Mignon Tips
- Rib Roast
- Top Sirloin
- Sirloin Steak
Whichever you get, make sure you’re getting the most tender cut of beef you can afford. The tender cuts include the words tenderloin, filet, etc in the grocery store. If you’re uncertain that what you are buying is a tender cut, ask the butcher!
Next, let’s gather up some ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Garlic Cloves or Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
I keep my homemade steak seasoning of Montreal Steak Seasoning + House Seasoning on hand. I’ll add Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce to a container, and mix with a tablespoon of the seasoning.
After drying your beef tips using paper towels to pat dry, you’ll place your dried steak tips into the marinade, and let them sit for half an hour.
Now, let’s cook Beef Tenderloin Steak Tips!
This post contains affiliate links.
Start with a cast iron pan or a heavy-bottomed skillet.
Turn the stovetop on medium-high heat.
Add a little bit of butter to the skillet and let it melt.
I made a steak butter with diced shallots, fresh garlic, lots of dried herbs, black pepper, and a full stick of butter. Mixed all of it up, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and stuck it in the fridge. Cut off a 1/2 inch knob to cook the steak bites in.
In a single layer, add your beef tips. Be careful not to crowd the pan, and do it in batches if needed. The more beef tips you add to the pan, the less browning will happen! You don’t want to steam the meat… You want to brown each side perfectly.
Once you’ve added the beef tips to the pan, turn it down to medium heat. So, you get a quick sear, but nothing rip-roaring hot where they just get burned.
When you purchase beef tips, they’re all different sizes. So, cooking times vary greatly! Once they are seared on one side, let them cook a couple of minutes on the other, then remove and place on the side.
After you’ve cooked all your steak tips, let’s add some mushrooms in and make a delicious red wine gravy!
Cooking Mushrooms and Making a Cream Sauce
Add in sliced mushrooms, and some more butter and brown them up.
Pro Tip: Cook the mushrooms in batches so they lay in one layer. I’ll usually just scoot the first layer over to the side of the pan and dump the rest in.
Once the mushrooms have browned on each side, you’ll start making your pan gravy.
Add a cup of red wine into the large skillet along with half a cup of cream. Mix well, and add the beef back in.
Allow the beef and mushrooms to simmer for a few minutes so the flavors marry.
You could serve this over mashed potatoes, or noodles. I served mine over rice, and it was so delicious!
Side Dishes that Pair Well
Save this to your favorite Beef Board on PinterestPrint
Beef Tenderloin Steak Tips
- 1.5 lbs Beef Tenderloin Steak Tips
- 1 TBS Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 TBS House Seasoning (recipe in notes)
- 2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 TBS Soy Sauce
- 4 TBS Butter, divided
- 1 lb. Mushrooms
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
MARINATE THE STEAK:
- In a bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning, 1 tablespoon house seasoning, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
- Pat the steak tips dry, and add to the marinade. Zhuzh around with your hands and allow to marinate for half an hour.
COOKING THE STEAK TIPS & MUSHROOMS
- To a cast iron skillet, or heavy bottom pan, add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add in your marinated steak tips, in a single layer, and cook until brown on each side.
- Cook the steak tips in batches, and set to the side.
- Once the steak has cooked, add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Cook the sliced mushrooms in a single layer until browned on each side.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, pour in one cup of red wine and half a cup of cream.
- Whisk around to combine.
- Add back in the steak tips, and allow to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve over your side dish of choice!
- 1/4 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Onion Powder
- 1/8 cup Black Pepper
Mix together in a jar until evenly combined. Keep close to your stove, and use on everything!
Keywords: beef tenderloin steak tips