Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the nutritious Taco Tuesday you’re craving.
Baked sweet potatoes are filled with ground beef taco meat and topped with all your taco night favorites!
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a delicious variation on the usual Taco Tuesday.
Ground Beef Taco meat is simmered and then ladled into baked sweet potatoes.
Top with any taco toppings your heart desires.
This is a great option for busy weeknight meals when you take time to pre-bake your potatoes — or use your slow cooker!
Make-Ahead Options for this Meal:
- Pre-bake your sweet potatoes in the oven.
- Add sweet potatoes to your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Cook Taco meat (this freezes very well!).
What ground beef is best for tacos?
I use 93% ground beef, you’re adding water to the seasoning, so you don’t want the extra fat you would need in a burger.
This easy recipe for Ground Beef Taco Meat is something I keep on hand all the time. If I make it, I’ll double the recipe and freeze in 1 cup portions. That way I know if I need to pull out a few for a big dinner, or just one for a taco salad evening.
These taco stuffed sweet potatoes are a great DIY dinner party idea.
Fill a big platter with baked sweet potatoes, and all the toppings.
Let your people fill their own sweet potatoes with whatever they prefer and watch the magic of “hands-off entertaining” come true!
Taco Topping Ideas:
- Soft & Hard Taco Shells
- Salsa – lots of different versions
- Sour Cream
Of course, you’ll need copious amounts of tortilla chips, too!
How do you make taco meat from scratch?
Over medium-high heat, brown your ground beef until cooked all the way through, and broken apart. I LOVE this kitchen tool and use it every time I cook ground beef.
Sprinkle in the seasoning, and stir really well.
You’ll want to add some water to make this a loose mixture — if you’re feeling extra fancy, you could add a can of Rotel tomatoes!
Let this simmer for about 8 minutes or so.
Then, gather all your taco supplies, and get filling! Dinner is ready.
Does Taco Meat Freeze Well?
Yes! It sure does! While you’re making tacos for the family, go ahead and make some meat to freeze in small containers.
What else can you do with taco meat?
I’ve got a few more recipes coming up using this ground beef taco meat — so stay tuned!
But, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Mexican Pizzas
- Taco Salad
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the nutritious Taco Tuesday you’re craving. Baked sweet potatoes are filled with ground beef taco meat and topped with all your taco night favorites!
- 4 Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 2 tbs Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
Baking your Sweet Potatoes:
- Wash and pat dry your sweet potatoes.
- Place on the rack of a cold oven, and a cookie sheet on the rack below the potatoes (to catch any juice).
- Turn your oven to 350˚ and set a timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check your potatoes, and rotate them.
- Potatoes are done when you can easily insert a fork into them.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Baking your potatoes can be done a couple of days ahead of time, keeping in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Ground Beed Taco Meat:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until cooked. Breaking apart well.
- Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of taco seasonings and stir to combine evenly.
- Add a quarter cup of water to create a looser mixture.
- Allow simmering for 8-10 minutes over low heat.
Serving Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- If you’ve made your sweet potatoes ahead of time, rewarm them in a 250˚ oven for half an hour.
- Ladle taco meat into the center of a cut sweet potato.
- Allow your people to top their sweet potato with whatever taco toppings they would like.
- Gather around the table and enjoy this meal!
Keywords: taco stuffed sweet potato
Save this pin to your favorite Taco Tuesday board!