Gruyere Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is your guilty pleasure mac n cheese! The creamy cheese sauce covers every noodle and the nutty flavor of the gruyere cheese takes this recipe over the top!
Gruyere Macaroni and Cheese is exactly what you want when you want to indulge in an ultra-creamy, perfect macaroni recipe that doesn’t use a roux!
I made this on the stovetop and browned the top in the oven because I like macaroni and cheese that has a browned top… But! This could totally just be a stovetop macaroni recipe that wows your crowd!
How to Make Gruyere Macaroni and Cheese
Let’s gather the ingredients:
- Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – this is how you make an incredibly creamy cheese sauce without making a roux with all purpose flour, butter, and whole milk.
- House Seasoning – this is my own blend of equal parts garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt. Add in as much cracked pepper as you like!
- Heavy Cream or Half and Half
- Boursin Shallot & Chive Cheese
- Gruyere Cheese – this nutty cheese is what is usually used for fondue, quiche lorraine, potatoes au gratin, etc. It’s great melting cheese that packs a punch of flavor. If you don’t have gruyère cheese you could use sharp white cheddar.
- Cooked Pasta – I used bow tie noodles, but you could use whatever short pasta you have on hand. Of course, elbow pasta would be ideal for the usual mac, but my store was out and I didn’t want to go to another!
First, you’ll want to use a large skillet. I used a Le Creuset Braiser dish, but any stove to oven dish will do!
Over medium-high heat, melt butter and saute your shallot until tender.
Add in a can of cream of mushroom soup, as well as a can of milk.
Give this a good whisk, so everything incorporates well.
You’ll add in your hunk of Boursin Shallot and Chive Cheese — I had some leftover, so I used half the round of cheese. But, it wouldn’t be bad with the whole 5.2 ounces!
- Shred your own cheese using a box grater. The preshredded cheese has stabilizer in it. So, if you’ve ever made a cheese sauce that tasted gritty, the stabilizer won’t fully melt.
- Cook your pasta in a separate pot, but be sure to save some pasta water, just in case!
- If you have leftovers, add them to a foil pan and label with “Gruyere Mac n Cheese – reheat at 350˚ for 25 minutes” and tuck away in your freezer for later!
Whisk this in so the Boursin cheese melts nicely, then add in your shredded cheese. Turn your heat down to medium heat so nothing sticks to the bottom of the skillet.
When the cheese is melted, add in your al dente pasta, and stir really well so every noodle is coated in the cheesy sauce!
You should have an abundance of sauce, which is why this recipe has such an incredibly creamy texture.
Cover with extra cheese and broil until golden brown — or serve right out of the pot on the stove! It’s a great recipe either way!
Yummy Additions You Could Add:
- Fresh Thyme
- Cayenne Pepper
- Fresh Breadcrumbs on top
Now, I’m not going to tell you this is the best homemade mac and cheese ever. I have yet to come up with that recipe! Partially, because in my mind the best mac and cheese was from Piccadilly Cafeteria when I was 6 years old… But, this is a delightfully creamy mac recipe!
Main Dish Recipes
Save this pin to your favorite Macaroni and Cheese Board on Pinterest!Print
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 cups hand shredded gruyere cheese, reserve 1/2 cup for the top if you’re baking (see notes below)
- 2 ounces Boursin Shallot and Chive Cheese (optional)
- 1 TBS House Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 lb. cooked pasta, whatever your desired shape!
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for your pasta.
- While your pasta water comes to a boil, in a large oven proof skillet, melt 1/2 stick of butter (4 tablespoons.).
- When the butter if foamy, add in your 2 diced shallots and 2-3 miced garlic cloves. Let them sweat for a few minutes.
- Once the shallot is soft, add in one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of evaporated milk. Whisk until combined with no lumps.
- Add in your 1.5 cups of shredded gruyere cheese, whisking until completely melted.
- If you’re using the 2 ounces of Boursin cheese, add it now.
- Stir in your one tablespoon of House Seasoning, and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Strain pasta right into the cheese sauce.
- Stir until each piece of pasta is thoroughly coated in the cheese sauce. You can eat it straight away like this, or, follow the next step.
- If baking in the oven, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top, and broil until golden brown and bubbly on top. Watch carefully, so it doesn’t burn!
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
You can serve this macaroni and cheese directly out of the skillet, without baking. It’s delightful!
House Seasoning is a blend I created to save myself time in the kitchen. Instead of measuring out each of these, when a recipe calls for these items, I use 1 tablespoon in its stead. Shake all the ingredients up in a jar, and keep close by! It goes on everything!
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/8 ground black pepper
Keywords: gruyere macaroni and cheese