- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 cups hand shredded gruyere cheese, reserve 1/2 cup for the top if you’re baking (see notes below)
- 2 ounces Boursin Shallot and Chive Cheese (optional)
- 1 TBS House Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 lb. cooked pasta, whatever your desired shape!
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for your pasta.
- While your pasta water comes to a boil, in a large oven proof skillet, melt 1/2 stick of butter (4 tablespoons.).
- When the butter if foamy, add in your 2 diced shallots and 2-3 miced garlic cloves. Let them sweat for a few minutes.
- Once the shallot is soft, add in one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of evaporated milk. Whisk until combined with no lumps.
- Add in your 1.5 cups of shredded gruyere cheese, whisking until completely melted.
- If you’re using the 2 ounces of Boursin cheese, add it now.
- Stir in your one tablespoon of House Seasoning, and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Strain pasta right into the cheese sauce.
- Stir until each piece of pasta is thoroughly coated in the cheese sauce. You can eat it straight away like this, or, follow the next step.
- If baking in the oven, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top, and broil until golden brown and bubbly on top. Watch carefully, so it doesn’t burn!
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
You can serve this macaroni and cheese directly out of the skillet, without baking. It’s delightful!
House Seasoning is a blend I created to save myself time in the kitchen. Instead of measuring out each of these, when a recipe calls for these items, I use 1 tablespoon in its stead. Shake all the ingredients up in a jar, and keep close by! It goes on everything!
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/8 ground black pepper
Keywords: gruyere macaroni and cheese