Low-carb Chicken Bistro is an easy low-carb recipe that has so much flavor it is absolutely perfect for your next dinner party or family meal. This is a main course cuisine that looks and tastes expensive and complicated but is anything but. My family enjoyed this easy recipe with roasted veggies and salad.
How to Make Low Carb Chicken Bistro
Make sure you read this section before removing or changing any ingredients for this delicious recipe. Then, scroll down to the recipe card to get the instructions and measurements.
- Chicken breasts: Skinless and boneless work best for this recipe.
- Light Caesar salad dressing: Any Caesar dressing with no added sugar will work here.
- Mozzarella cheese: Freshly grated for the best flavor.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated for the best flavor. Do not use the dry stuff in the can.
- Capers: Leave the small berries whole.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Chopped tomatoes. Sundried tomatoes are best because the flavor is more intense.
- Chopped pepperoni: Slice your own fresh pepperoni instead of buying slices already cut for the best flavor.
- Feta cheese: High-quality feta should have a creamy texture with a sweet and salty taste that is slightly tangy.
- Fresh basil: Fresh is best but you can use dried basil if that is all you have.
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
How to make chicken bistro from scratch?
- Let chicken marinate: First, marinate the chicken breasts in the Caesar dressing for at least an hour.
- Let the chicken cook: After, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cook chicken breasts on medium heat in a large cast iron skillet. After about six to eight minutes, when they are almost done, top each chicken breast with the cheese and pepperoni.
- Melt the cheese: Now, place the skillet in the oven and bake for about five minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Top and serve: Finally, season with salt and pepper, top with fresh basil, and serve with roasted vegetables or a fresh salad.
- Chicken thighs: Instead of chicken breasts, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you like dark meat.
- Top with cream sauce: You can make extra sauce by blending the salad dressing with a little bit of butter, heavy cream, and flour.
- Saute the tomatoes: For extra flavor, saute the sundried tomatoes in chicken broth, dry white wine, or a little bit of olive oil for a few minutes before using them.
- Garlic and onion powder: Add onion and garlic powder to your chicken while cooking to make your taste buds happy.
- Cauliflower rice: Instead of serving on a bed of rice, use cauliflower rice or keto pasta. My family loved this!
- Other veggies: Feel free to add other veggies like fresh spinach, kale, broccoli, and bell peppers.
- Fresh herbs: This chicken recipe goes great with any kind of fresh herbs like oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary, and paprika.
- Other options: Another, delicious, full of protein, low-carb, and flavorful meal is this easy shrimp salad, perfect for making ahead and having it on hand for quick lunches or dinners.
Frequently asked questions
What can I use instead of breadcrumbs?
To stick to your keto diet and eat low-carb, you can use dried cheese crisps, fried cauliflower, or crunchy roasted chickpeas. You could also use dried zucchini, beets, or any other kind of vegetable you like. Nuts are also a great alternative for croutons and bread crumbs. Dehydrating anything that is keto-friendly will make an absolutely amazing topping.
How do I make this dairy-free?
This great recipe calls for mozzarella cheese and feta cheese, which both have dairy. If you are on a dairy-free diet, they have nondairy versions in most grocery stores. There are many made from soy, coconut oil, vegetables, and nuts. Or you can make your own. If your goal is to lose weight, use dried veggies.
Why is my chicken rubbery and dry?
The cooking time for chicken breasts varies depending on the thickness of the meat. If you cook it too long, it will end up rubbery and dry. Check on it after five minutes, remove it from the oven when the internal temperature is 160 degrees F, and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. It will continue to cook while it sits, and the juices will be absorbed back into the meat.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: You can store your leftover chicken bistro in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Freeze: To freeze your chicken bistro, place it in a freezer bag or another freezer-safe container and it will be fine for up to three months.
- Thaw: Be sure to thaw frozen leftovers in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Reheat: To reheat, put the chicken in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds, depending on the size.
- The internal temperature of your chicken breasts should be 165 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer when finished.
- If you do not have a cast iron skillet, you can use any oven-safe pan. If you do not have one, just transfer your chicken to a cooking sheet to bake.
- Serve with a small bowl of extra dressing in case somebody wants more.
- To make sure the whole family gets what they want, serve with a dish of extra cheese and other toppings.
- You can also make this family-favorite keto chicken in the air fryer. Just cook for about three minutes on each side.
- In the instant pot, first saute on medium-high heat. Then, cook your chicken for five minutes on high pressure and then do a five-minute natural pressure release.
- Are you looking for other low-carb chicken recipes to add to your dinner rotation? We have lots of keto recipes on our food blog. You can find lots of popular recipes on our website.
- The nutrition, calories, and fat numbers at the bottom of the page are just estimated.
I love serving this with Toni’s Chopped Salad for a quick and easy meal any night of the week!Print
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Ken’s Light Caesar Dressing (or whatever Caesar dressing you like best!
- 2 TBS chopped Pepperoni
- 2 TBS chopped Sun-Dried Tomatoes, in oil
- 2 TBS chopped Capers
- 2 TBS Feta Cheese
- 1 TBS Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella
- In a large bowl, marinate your chicken breasts in the caesar dressing for up to an hour, no more.
- While the chicken marinates mix together the pepperoni, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, feta cheese, and parmesan.
- Cook your chicken breast over medium-high heat in an oven-proof skillet.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked through (most chicken breasts should take 6-8 minutes), top with chopped pepperoni and cheese mixture and a final sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Just a small pinch per piece of chicken!
- Bake at 350˚ in the oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with vegetables or a light salad.
Keywords: Low Carb Chicken Bistro