this post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Sloppy Joe Sandwiches are classic comfort food. Using the best homemade sloppy joe sauce you’ll be taken back to a better version of your childhood favorite!
Homemade sloppy joe sandwiches are the fond memory of childhood, with a can of Manwich on the counter and white buns next to it. It was a happy dinner in our home when we had this meal!
This version of a Sloppy Joe Sandwich uses the sauce we made yesterday, the BEST Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce. I would add EVER, but you know, it’s probably not ever.
We’re just getting started with Sloppy Joe Fest this week – get ready!
You’ll want to serve this sandwich with a fork and knife, and have plenty of napkins on hand. It’s definitely sloppy!
Where did sloppy joe’s come from?
Rumor has it that Joe was creating ‘loose meat sandwiches’ in Sioux City, Iowa. There are all kinds of variations around the country, but America loves this classic comfort food recipe!
Now, like all good things, the best homemade sloppy joe sauce is super simple. You may even have all the items in your pantry!
Next, what’s in Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce?
- tomato sauce
- chili sauce (the kind you use for shrimp cocktail!)
- Worcestershire sauce
- yellow mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- seasoning salt
What can you use sloppy joe sauce for?
- The BEST Sloppy Joe Sauce Recipe
- Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
- Sloppy Dogs
- Sloppy Joe Sauced Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Sloppy Joe Tot-chos
Now, let’s chat about these sandwiches…
- You’ll brown ground beef and onions together – I like to plop the meat in and let it hang out for a bit until a nice crust forms.
- Then using this nifty tool, break up the beef. I’ll add the onions to the meat and let them saute right in the pot.
- You’ll pour in your sauce until it to your desired ‘sloppy’ consistency. I like it fairly saucy, so I add about a cup and quarter of the sauce.
- I like to serve on a toasted Hawaiian bun.
What could you top it with?
- Sliced cheese
- Thinly sliced sweet onion
Need some Sloppy Joe Side Dish Ideas? Give these recipes a look-see!Print
Homemade Sloppy Joe Sandwiches are classic comfort food. It’s the childhood favorite, but the better version with a homemade sauce!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1+ cup sloppy joe sauce
- 8 hawaiian buns
In a large skillet over medium-high heat brown ground beef with onions. Let simmer 15 minutes on very low heat. Pour in enough sloppy joe sauce to make it however sloppy you want. Add to buns and serve!
Keywords: homemade sloppy joe sandwiches