this post contains affiliate links
Sloppy Dogs are the all-American favorite tailgating food by topping hot dogs with sweet and tangy sloppy joe mix!
Sloppy dogs are the all-American classic that takes a hot dog and sloppy joe mix and create a match made in heaven.
It’s a simple concept, but the perfect addition to any tailgate party!
If you’ve been following along during Sloppy Joe Fest, we’re on our third recipe:
- The BEST Sloppy Joe Sauce Recipe
- Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
- Sloppy Dogs
- Sloppy Joe Sauced Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Sloppy Joe Tot-chos
First, where did Sloppy Joes come from?
Rumor has it that Joe was creating ‘loose meat sandwiches’ in Sioux City, Iowa. There are all kinds of variations around the country, but America loves this classic comfort food recipe!
Next, what’s in Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce?
- tomato sauce
- chili sauce (the kind you use for shrimp cocktail!)
- Worcestershire sauce
- yellow mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- seasoning salt
Let’s chat about tailgating season!
Here are a few tips to help you create a great
tailgate setup complete with everything you’ll need.
- Go ahead and buy a tent like this, in your team’s colors.
- Get a few coolers, too. It doesn’t need to be fancy, but you’ll want plenty of them!
- You’ll want to fill a bin with items such as paper towels, wet naps, all kinds of serving ware, paper products and lots of cups.
- I like to use reusable items, so cups like these that you can even customize are so fun!
- Hop on Pinterest and search tailgating tips – you’ll be amazed at all the amazing things!
Sloppy dogs are a simple fall recipe idea. You can make the sloppy joe mix ahead of time, then grill the dogs outside.
Put out all the toppings for a hot dog bar, including a crockpot of sloppy joe mix!
Do you need some hot dog bar topping ideas?
- ketchup, mustard, mayo
- relish, onions, jalapenos
- cheese, sour cream, salsa
- chili, sloppy joe mix
I like to use all-beef hot dogs – preferably Nathan’s. The casing on it gives such a great snap when you bite into it!
And, I learned a new not-so-fancy trick for cooking a lot of hotdogs quickly.
Are you ready for the “secret” hot dog cooking method?!
Use your broiler!
Crank that baby up, plop the dogs onto a sheet pan, and place under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
Give them a shimmy to move around making sure they get crisped on all sides.
Sloppy Dogs are the all-American favorite tailgating food by topping hot dogs with sweet and tangy sloppy joe mix! Perfect for tailgating season!
- 2 cups Sloppy Joe Sauced Meat
- 8 All-Beef Hot Dogs
- 8 Buns
- Shredded Cheddar
Heat up 2 cups of sloppy joe meat on the stove top or in the microwave. Turn the broiler on, and while it heats up, put your hot dogs onto a rimmed baking sheet. Place under the broiler for a couple minutes. Give the pan a shimmy (use pot holders!) and rotate the dogs a bit. Watch closely – and when they are roasty-toasty to your preference remove from the oven. Place hot dogs into buns, top with sloppy joe mix, and sprinkle cheese on top! Yum!!
Keywords: sloppy joe dogs