(Viral) Butter Board Trend
The Butter Board Trend is the new way to enjoy warm bread with compound butter topped with amazing flavors! It’s the next charcuterie board, and here to stay!
What is a Butter Board?
Food Influencer Justine Doiron created this new trend that is sweeping social media! Her idea is adapted from Chef Joshua McFadden’s cookbook recipe idea.
Her gorgeous wooden board is lovingly adorned with room temperature, spreadable butter, edible flowers, flaky salt, tons of lemon zest, a drizzle of honey, and all kinds of show-stopper ingredients!
If you’re a butter person, this viral board craze is for YOU! While it’s the newest trend, I do see it staying for a while. Food trends come and go, and if you’re into it, keep it! There is no one saying what you can and cannot do…
The other night I hosted a Raclette Party and served a Butter Board with it. Let me show you my version of this original idea from recipe developer Justine Doiron
How to Make a Butter Board
This post contains affiliate links.
The first step, you need a wooden cutting board or some type of board.
Lay some parchment paper down to create a barrier between your board and the butter! Pro Tip: if your parchment paper is just slipping all around do these two things:
- Crinkle the parchment paper up in your hands, like you’re wading up a piece of paper. Unfold it, and it will lay much better!
- Add a tiny dab of butter on the board so the parchment paper has something to stick to.
Using parchment paper is so helpful for cleaning up — you just roll the paper up with the leftover butter on it, and use it over and over!
Now, you’ll need some ingredients! Think of this as a parade of your favorite ingredients!
This butter board, pictured, is based on what I would use to make Steak Herb Butter. Finely diced shallots, garlic, chives, and lemon zest all top silky butter. Freshly cracked pepper and red chili flakes completed this board idea!
Need some ideas? Try these!
- Hot Honey – you can use regular honey, too! The hot honey adds a little kick that pairs perfectly with soft butter.
- A Drizzle of Olive Oil – Just a little bit of fruity olive oil changes the flavor profile completely!
- Fig Jam – in other butter board viral video ideas people have paired fresh figs with fig jam, to create a sweet version.
- Sliced Red Onion – Red onion or shallots will add a nice crunch and spiciness to the hashtag #butterboard.
- Caramelized Onions – Who doesn’t love caramelized onions on everything?!
- Fresh Garlic – or, friend garlic slices! – I love fresh garlic and try to eat as much as I can.
- Bagel Seasoning – Yep! Such a great pairing!
- Pine Nuts – or any nut for a little crunch! – Make sure there are no nut allergies before using this ingredient when you’re serving a group of people!
- Cracked Black Pepper – my favorite pepper mill comes from Trader Joe’s! Don’t sleep on it! For $3+ you can refill it over and over!
- Balsamic Vinegar – I prefer to use the drizzle, but the plain balsamic vinegar brightens up your softened butter.
- A Mix of Herbs – An herbed butter board is my favorite so far! Fresh thyme, chives, basil, and oregano is the best thing!
- Red Pepper Flakes – chile flakes are a fun way to add a little spice, but not too much!
- Citrus Zest – I gentle dusting of fresh lemon zest adds a little zip every dinner party needs!
You’ll also need copious amounts of crusty bread and a butter knife to make your own butter board.
Assembling & Serving Your Board
Using your room temperature butter, plop the butter onto your board or serving plate. I like to make “pools” with my spoon for favorite flavors to nestle in.
Then, using the ingredients you’ve chosen for your own version of the latest food trend, start placing them on top of the butter.
The best way to sprinkle any ingredient on top of something is to pull your hand up high so that you reach maximum coverage when it sprinkles.
Your goal is to get all the ingredients evenly over the butter so that every person has a chance to scoop all the flavors every time.
Once you’re happy with your own twist, add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt on top as the finishing touch! The large salt crystals of Maldon flake salt add a little crunch to your board that is SO good! And, if you used unsalted butter, it’s a simple way to add salt to this viral trend.
When you serve your board, you’ll have guests use a butter knife to slather their slice of bread with the goodness. Or, you can just allow people to smear their bread in the butter!
Whatever you choose, I promise the butter board will be put to good use!
Butter Board Ideas:
When you’re in a silly goofy butter mood, this is the appetizer recipe idea missing from your dinner parties!
You can also make a cream cheese board, ricotta board, or goat cheese board! you’ll follow the same method as above and use cheesy ricotta or tangy cream cheese to create a whole new board idea!
There are endless possibilities of butter board ideas! Be sure you’re following along on social media, I have big plans for the holidays and butter boards!