Wow! This recipe did NOT disappoint, y’all! You know when you read a recipe and think “Oooo! That sounds amazing!” and then it really is just that good?! This is it!
Reese Witherspoon’s Whiskey in a Teacup has so many amazing recipes, you’ll need to snag a copy as soon as possible. Reese’s Cornbread Chili Pie recipe will have you gathered around the table reminiscing about your day in no time. A great busy weeknight meal idea!
Our family loves cornbread and chili — this was one of those meals requested over and over throughout my childhood. But, using Reese’s method of adding the cornbread mix directly on TOP of the chili and baking the whole thing is simply amazing. Not to mention, it is so so yummy.
Everyone loves a “one pot wonder” where the meal is all in one dish. Reese’s Cornbread Chili Pie is a great comfort meal on a winter night, and you may even have all the ingredients in your pantry! Using this 5 Ingredient Chili recipe + a simple cornbread recipe, and your meal comes together in a cinch!
“When Jim and the kids and I are sitting there eating and laughing, I often flash back to family meals with my grandparents, which we’d often eat out on the screened-in porch, complete with soundtrack of the screen door’s spring stretching followed by the whapping sound the door made as it slammed. Adults would sip drinks on the porch before dinner and watch the sun go down as the kids played outside, filling jars with fireflies. I like to think my kids will look back on our dinners this way, how we talked and laughed together over plates of good, filling food — but even more fulfilling conversation.
My grandparents loved our stories, hanging on every word and detail. We felt appreciated and important, as though our opinions mattered. My mother laughed loudest at all my jokes–so I always blame her for making me become an actor. She egged me on, which made me feel even bolder. Her laugh gave me courage. She has the best laugh in the world.” ~~ an excerpt from Reese Witherspoon’s Whiskey in a Teacup
What family meals do you remember as a child?! Let me know in the comments below!
You’ll definitely want to pin this one for later!Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 (1.75 ounces) packets chili seasoning
- 1 (14 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (8.5 ounces) boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounces) can kidney beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 375˚
- In a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet or sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute before adding the garlic.
- Sauté another minute and add the ground beef and pork, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon and stirring until the meat is brown.
- Drain off excess fat and stir in the chili seasoning, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Mix over medium heat for one minute, then pour in chicken broth.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the meat simmers, make the cornbread mixture.
- Stir together Jiffy mix, eggs, and milk in a mixing bowl until just combined (do not overmix).
- Stir 1/2 cup of the frozen corn and the cheese into the cornbread batter and set aside.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup corn, and the kidney beans into the meat mixture.
- If using a baking or casserole dish, transfer the meat mixture from the stovetop to the baking dish.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the meat mixture and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.