The best burger seasoning recipe is a balanced blend of seasoning and spices, that perfectly complement the ground meat! You can use it on any protein, it’s a versatile seasoning! It’s great with veggies burgers, too!
The best burger seasoning is really one of preference, and for my preference, I like a balance of salt, spice, and herbs that help enhance the natural flavor of the beef.
Burger seasonings can use any kind of flavors you like!
I love mixing my own seasoning blends – using spice blends to create other flavor full blends you can use every day in your kitchen!
To make your own homemade burger seasoning blend head to your spice aisle in your grocery store.
The only way to know what seasoning you like best is to stock your spice cabinet with all the simple ingredients you might want to try!
Here’s a good starting point for an easy homemade burger seasoning:
Best Burger Seasoning Ingredients and Options:
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Paprika – all variations: sweet paprika, smokey paprika
- Onion Powder
- Onion flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Garlic Salt
- Mustard Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Mushroom Powder
- Chili Powder
- Brown Sugar
I have a cheeky hack when creating my own spice blends.
My favorite way is using premade spice blends! Like the ones from McCormick’s Grillmates line! They are filled with amazing flavor!
One year, I made my “secret spice blend,” mixed it up into a little airtight container, and gave it as Christmas presents…! Weeks later, a friend brought her empty mason jar back to me, asking if I would refill it. I had to tell her it’s not really a secret recipe: it’s a jar of Montreal steak seasoning and a jar of Smokehouse Maple seasoning — mixed together!
My Favorite Burger Seasoning uses Montreal Steak Seasoning, Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning, my homemade House Seasoning blend, and Worcestershire sauce. It’s the perfect combo of salty and a little bit spicy. But, not in a hot spicy way — it’s packed with flavor, giving your taste buds something to get excited about.
Let’s chat about various homemade seasonings!
House Seasoning – this homemade spice blend makes great burgers! It’s equal parts salt, onion powder, and garlic powder mixed in a small bowl with however much black pepper you want. I’ll mix up a big batch every month or so and keep it by my stovetop.
The Best Way to Season Burgers
In the bottom of a bowl, add your seasoning blend. Whichever you choose!
Plop your ground beef over top of the seasoning blend in the bowl, and get to mashing it all together.
Use a lift and fold method, so you don’t end up over mixing and keep your fingers spread apart, instead of close together. I know it sounds silly! But, this is the best method I’ve found.
Score your meat into sections, and make your hamburger patties by rolling each section into a ball, then pressing from the center of the beef out, pushing down while moving the meat around in a circle. To get an amazing burger that doesn’t puff up like a hockey puck, press a little indentation in the center of each burger patty before grilling over medium-high heat.
If you are starting with pre-formed burger patties, you can swipe a light coating of vegetable oil overtop each one, then sprinkle your hamburger seasoning overtop each side of the burger.
Pro Tip: for the best homemade burgers be sure to form the patties yourself! That way you get the great flavor of your DIY burger seasoning all throughout the burger meat. I love using ground beef from Butcher Box! ((You can use my LINK to try it for yourself!))
Best Burger Seasoning Frequently Asked Questions:
What should I season my burgers with?
- This depends on your preference, but using a spice blend specifically for burgers is a great place to start. You can make your own using this post, but you totally don’t have to!
How can I make my burgers more flavorful?
- Using a hearty spice blend helps make your burgers more flavorful! You can also add in some minced dried onions or fresh garlic to your burger meat before you form your patties.
What is the secret ingredient in a burger?
- Love and the last name Berger. ((How could I not say it?!)) There isn’t really a secret ingredient in a burger unless you want it to be! You don’t have to tell anyone that you used a store-purchased spice blend — although if your people are judging you off that, you need better people!
Should you mix the seasoning into burgers?
- Yes! Especially if you are forming your own patties. Mixing the seasoning into the burger patties ensures you end up with flavor-filled burgers! You could even let the burger meat marinate overnight with the seasoning!
I love a grilled burger! Especially a charcoal-grilled burger! I have a few tips and tricks for you on your journey to a good burger.
Gas Grill Tips:
- Bring your burgers out to come to room temperature about an hour before you are going to grill them.
- For gas grills, we want direct heat. Burgers need to cook in a more “hot and fast” manor, as opposed to something like pork where it needs to be low and slow.
- To get those great grill marks everyone is after, turn your grill up to medium-high heat, and plop your burgers on. Don’t close the grill! Let the air circulate all around the burgers on this first side. Then, when you flip to the other side, you can close the grill to melt your cheese.
Charcoal Grilling Tips:
- Heat your charcoal by using a charcoal chimney — I find that’s the easiest way to get the coals to an even heat.
- Follow the same tips as grilling on gas! You want to leave the lid off on the first side, so the grill marks form.
- Then, you can cover on the second side when you go to melt your cheese!
Other Burger Recipes You Need to Try:Print
The best burger seasoning recipe is a simple mix of hearty spice blends that create a flavor-filled burger!
- 1/2 cup Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Ranch Seasoning
- 1/2 cup House Seasoning (see notes)
Take your ingredients and pour them into a jar with a lid. Give this a VERY good shake so everything mixes super well. Store in your spice cabinet for up to 1 year.
House Seasoning: 1/2 cup garlic powder, 1/2 cup onion powder, 1/2 kosher salt, and 1/4 cup black pepper. Mix all this together and use on everything!
Keywords: best burger seasoning recipe