Cornbread Salad Recipe is a southern staple for using up leftover cornbread and creating a beautifully layered salad!
If you’ve been to church dinners, a potluck, or anything of the sort you’ve most likely eaten a cornbread salad.
It’s one of those recipes where everyone has their own versions of cornbread salad.
This great dish is best when made ahead of time, and served the next day. Another tried and true southern cook secret!
The beautiful presentation of this southern cornbread salad recipe is perfect for nice lunches, neighborhood potluck, family reunion, or just a plain family dinner.
First time I had this salad a dear friend of mine made it, and I could not get over it! If you’re serving it as a side dish get ready for it to be the star of the show!
What’s in a Cornbread Salad?
Cornbread salad is a layered salad with any and all of these ingredients! Take what you like, leave what you don’t…
- Sweet Cornbread
- Lettuce – romaine lettuce or iceberg will do, but you do want sturdy lettuce!
- Pinto Beans or Black Beans
- Tomatoes – fresh tomatoes. I have used a can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis when it wasn’t tomato season…
- Green Onions
- Green Pepper – green bell peppers or jalapeno peppers if you’re feeling spicy!
- Red Pepper – red bell peppers
- Cheddar Cheese
- Crispy Bacon
- Red Onion
- Ranch Dressing
- Sour Cream
All of these items are layered into a trifle dish, and make a really gorgeous main dish salad!
First, start by making your favorite cornbread whether that’s using a homemade recipe card or following the package directions.
Let the cornbread cool completely! Then cut it into cornbread cubes if you’re able let them dry out overnight.
There are lots of different ways to make this recipe. So, if you make the one on the printable recipe card and don’t love… change it!
Next, you’ll need to whip up some homemade ranch dressing.
When I say homemade ranch, I mean a packet of ranch dressing mix with some mayo, sour cream, and milk. Whisk it all together until combined and let it sit for an hour before using.
If you can find the spicy ranch dressing mix I highly recommend it! Yum!
Let’s make the salad!
Using a glass bowl add a layer of crumbled cornbread. You can leave it in chunks if you’d like, but I take the chunks and crumble them a bit.
Then add a layer of beans, cheese, cucumbers, green onions, and half of the bacon.
Now you’ll pour over half of the ranch dressing. Yep! right into the salad.
Then, do the whole thing again!
End with the rest of the ranch dressing drizzle over everything!
I like to decorate my salad with french sliced tomatoes, some french onions, and more green onions.
For the best results make this in the morning and serve later that evening. Making any dish ahead of time is my favorite way of hosting!
If you have leftovers, just store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Serve with extra fresh lettuce to crisp everything up.
This tasty salad brings a whole new level to a tasty side dish!
Need a Main Dish to serve with it? Give one of these a try!
Cornbread Salad Recipe is a southern staple for using up leftover cornbread and creating a beautifully layered salad with fresh lettuce, beans, and cheese!
- 4 cups Leftover Cornbread (see notes!0
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup Pinto beans, divided
- 1 cup of canned or fresh corn, divided
- 1 cup cheese, divided
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 6 Crisp Bacon strips, chopped and divided
- 12 ounces Ranch dressing (see note)
- Garnish: sliced tomatoes
- Garnish: french onions
- To a glass bowl or trifle dish, add in a layer of half of the cornbread to the bottom. Crumbled up is just fine!
- On top of the cornbread add half of the lettuce.
- Add half the cucumbers, beans, cheese, corn, green onions, and bacon.
- Pour half of the ranch dressing on top of all of this.
- Add in the remaining lettuce, followed by a layer of cornbread.
- If you need to smoosh it all down with your hands now is the time to do that!
- Top the cornbread with the remaining cucumbers, beans, cheese, corn, green onions, and bacon.
- Pour the rest of the ranch dressing over top.
- Garnish with tomato slices, french onions, and if you have a few extra green onions, sprinkle them on top!
- Allow this salad to chill in the fridge for an hour before serving. Best to serve 8 hours later!
Cornbread! Make your favorite homemade recipe, packaged mix, or pick up a pan from the grocery!
Ranch Dressing: of course, I will tell you to make your own using the packet! It’s so darn good!
Keywords: cornbread salad recipe