Southern Smothered Chicken is a recipe you’ve got to make! When you need the ultimate comfort food, this chicken recipe is the soul food you need!
Seasoning Blend for Chicken + Flour
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 4–6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2–3/4 cup Oil, for frying (A neutral oil like canola or vegetable is preferred. If you are using Olive Oil, make sure it is for frying.)
- 2 TBS oil (from frying)
- 1 large Vidalia Onion or Sweet Onion, sliced
- 2 cups Beef Broth (divided)
- 2 TBS Butter
- 2 TBS Flour (this is from the seasoned flour you dredged your chicken in)
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients together, and set to the side. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoon of the seasoning blend for the flour. The rest goes on the chicken.
SEASONING & DREDGING THE CHICKEN
- Season your chicken with the seasoning blend. Add it to a big bowl, and add 3/4 cup of milk + 2 beaten eggs. Let this sit while you season your flour, and get the oil on your stove.
- Mix the 1.5 teaspoons of the seasoning blend into the flour, whisking well to evenly distribute.
- Take each chicken breast and dip it into the flour, flipping it onto either side. Lift the chicken out of the flour, and gently shake to remove any excess flour. If your oil is hot and ready, gently lay the chicken breast into the oil to fry. Otherwise, you can set it to the side on a separate plate while you dredge the other chicken pieces.
FRYING THE CHICKEN
- Gently lay each piece of chicken into the hot oil, laying it away from you so nothing splatters onto you! Don’t crowd the pan, fry the pieces in batches.
- Allow the chicken to fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and set it off to the side, while you finish frying the other pieces.
- Once your chicken is all fried up, remove excess oil, while reserving 2 tablespoons in the pan to make your gravy.
ONION GRAVY – You can click HERE for the full recipe post
- Add in your sliced sweet onion to the reserved 2 tablespoons of oil and saute until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Pour one cup of beef broth, and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove the onions and beef broth to a small bowl, and set aside.
- To the pan, add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour over the top, and create a roux by whisking together and cooking for 2 minutes.
- To the roux, pour in the remaining one cup of beef broth, and whisk until thick and creamy.
- Add the cooked onions and extra broth back into the gravy.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk it all together, then add the chicken back to the creamy gravy.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Serve this impossibly tender chicken with rice, mashed potatoes, or any other southern favorites!
Keywords: southern smothered chicken recipe