Southern Onion Gravy pairs perfectly with roasted chicken, hamburger steak, pork chops, or spooned over mashed potatoes!
- 4 TBS Butter (divided)
- 1 large Vidalia Onion or Sweet Onion, sliced
- 2 cups Beef Broth (divided)
- 2 TBS Flour
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat.
- Add in your sliced sweet onion and saute until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Pour one cup of beef broth, and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove the onions and beef broth to a small bowl, and set aside.
- To the pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour over the top, and create a roux by whisking together and cooking for 2 minutes.
- To the roux, pour in the remaining one cup of beef broth, and whisk until thick and creamy.
- Add the cooked onions and extra broth back into the gravy.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk around until combined, then serve!
Keywords: southern onion gravy