Quick and Easy Shrimp and Grits are the iconic southern recipe, but simple enough to make at home during the week or share with friends around the table!
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grits (stone ground is preferred)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (if frozen allow to thaw)
- 1 tablespoon Smokehouse Maple Seasoning from Grillmates
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
For the Grits:
- Bring water, milk, and salt to a rolling boil (be watchful! Since you’re using milk, it can bubble over very quickly!).
- Carefully whisk in grits to the boiling liquid, and whisk, whisk, whisk so no lumps form.
- Once the grits have returned to a slow boil, turn the heat down to simmer, and simmer for 20+ minutes. Stirring often.
- When the grits have absorbed the liquid, add butter and half and half to them and stir well.
- In a bowl, toss shrimp with Smokehouse Maple Seasoning, and let sit while you preheat your skillet.
- Over medium-high heat, in a cast-iron skillet, melt butter and olive oil together until it shimmers.
- Gently lay the shrimp into the hot skillet in a single layer.
- Cook shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side, or until a bright pink color.
- Ladle grits into a bowl, and top with shrimp!
Keywords: quick and easy shrimp and grits