Ooey gooey melty cheeese with bread and cream and all things fall.
- 4–6 pound pumpkin with the top removed, and the seeds & fibers removed.
- 12–14” inch baguette, sliced into 1/4” slices, and toasted slightly
- 1/4 pound gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 12 ounces half and half
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350˚
- Cut the top off the pumpkin, and scoop out seeds & fibers, making a nice bowl for the cheese & bread. Reserve the top for baking.
- Place pumpkin in a rimmed baking dish (I used a 9×13 pan, on top of a half sheet pan)
- Layer bread and cheese three layers inside the pumpkin, ending with cheese
- In a spouted bowl, mix eggs, half & half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until combined.
- Slowly pour the egg and cream mixture over the bread & cheese, inside the pumpkin. If it looks like it’s going to overflow, just give it a few seconds to soak in….
- Bake for TWO HOURS at 350˚ with the top on the pumpkin.
- Remove the top of the pumpkin, and place back in oven, and broil the top until golden brown.
- Serve by scooping everything out (including the pumpkin, yum!) and devour together with good friends, great wine, and lots of laughter!