Simple baking powder biscuits, gently kneaded into the fluffiest biscuits, ever!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk (see notes!)
- Preheat the oven to 450˚
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- Add your cold butter, and using a gentle “snapping” motion, cut butter into flour until small pieces form.
- Add the cold buttermilk, and fold dough on itself over and over until combined.
- Dump out onto a floured work surface, and press out until 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 2″ squares, placing on sheet tray. Make sure the biscuits touch each other.
- Bake at 450˚ until golden brown, about 15 minutes, depending on your oven. I like to set my timer for 12 minutes, then starting peeking.
- Serve hot out of the oven with plenty of extra butter, jam, honey, preserves, etc!
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, add a splash of white vinegar, and wait a few minutes.
- If you’re feeling frisky, you can coat the biscuits with melted butter before you bake them.
- You can freeze the biscuits, before you bake them. I place them 1″ apart on a sheet tray and flash freeze. Then, dump into a freezer safe bag and pull out however many I need at the time. Bake frozen biscuits the same way as above.
- Serving Size: 24