Use this red sauce anytime you need marinara! It’s a great pizza sauce, too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- “splash” of red wine
- 1/2–1 tablespoon of sugar
- In an oven proof pot (like Le Crueset!) saute onions until soft in olive oil over medium low heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in jarred marinara, red wine (and by splash, I mean a good glug of the bottle…!), and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar. The sugar helps cut the acidic flavor of the wine and sauce. Add more if needed, but only in small amounts.
- Once the sauce is warm, add your meatballs in and cook, covered, for 15 minutes
- On the last few minutes, add provolone and mozzarella cheese, and broil until golden brown and bubbly!