A creamy cheese sauce that has a hint of mustard for a perfect accouterment to soft baked pretzels.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (I prefer half and a half)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar (hand grated! No pre-grated stuff!)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat melt butter.
- While butter is melting, place 1 cup milk in separate saucepan and heat over low heat, until small bubbles form around the rim of the milk. Careful not to burn!
- Add flour to melted butter, and using a wooden spoon, stir to combine and cook slightly. About 1-2 minutes.
- Once the flour is incorporated, and milk is warm, pour milk into butter/flour roux and stir well with your wooden spoon.
- Once your bechamel is thick, turn the heat off.
- Finally, add shredded cheese by small handfuls until combined.
- Add dijon mustard.
- Taste, adding salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with anything that melted cheese likes, pretty much anything!
If you need extra heat on your sauce while adding the cheese, place over a double boiler with simmering water underneath. This is also a great way to reheat any leftover cheese sauce.