Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole with Cheez Whiz is one of those classic side dishes every family gathering needs to serve!
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup chopped Onions
- 1/3 cup chopped Celery
- 1/2 cup chopped Leeks
- 1/2 cup chopped Green Onions
- 12.6-ounce bag of Frozen Chopped Broccoli thawed
- 1, 10.5 ounce can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 10.5 ounces of Milk (use the can as a measuring cup!), plus more if needed
- 2 cups cooked Rice
- 8 ounces Cheez Whiz
- 4 ounces of Water Chestnuts, drained and chopped (these are optional! If you don’t like them, leave them out!)
- Preheat your oven to 350˚.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter, and saute 1/3 cup onions, 1/3 cup celery, 1/2 cup chopped leeks, and 1/2 cup chopped green onions until all are soft.
- While the onions and celery are sauteing, cook your broccoli in the microwave, according to the package.
- In a large bowl, mix together 10.5 ounces of Cream of Mushroom soup with 10.5 ounces of milk, I just use the can from the soup! Fill it up, and dump it in.
- Whisk this together until smooth.
- To your large skillet, add in the 12.6 ounces bag of broccoli, two cups of rice, and 8 ounces of cheez whiz, and stir to melt the cheese.
- Stir in the soup and milk mixture along with the drained 4 ounces of water chestnuts.
- Pour all of this into a casserole dish, and bake at 350˚ for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden brown.
If you have an oven-proof and stove-top-friendly baking dish, use that! It will save you a dish!
You can make this up to 3 days in advance, storing it in the fridge covered tightly with plastic wrap. Just bring it to room temperature before baking.
You can also freeze the casserole recipe! Wrap tightly in aluminum foil, then wrap in either plastic wrap, or place into a freezer-safe bag. Freeze safely for up to 2 months. Thaw in your refrigerator and bake according to the recipe card.
Hot Tip: I freeze the casserole in a freezer-safe baggie, without the casserole dish! When it’s thawed, I plop it into a baking dish and bake it at 350˚ for 45 minutes. This way, I can flatten the bag and save room in my small freezer!
Keywords: cheesy broccoli and rice casserole with cheez whiz